Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Just Wondering

We are parked at the Bootheel Youth Camp this week. Teri is teaching classes in the mornings. I am pretty much just enjoying the nice cool air conditioned GMC. So, I have a few minutes to spare.
How far back can you recall things in your life ? I have sometimes asked this question to folks. It amazes me at how many don't recall early years, before school. Do you?
On July 21, 1954 my beautiful mother gave birth to her firstborn, me. I have seen pictures of her and my dad holding me as a newborn and they looked just as happy as could be. Of course I can not recall that. About as far back as I can remember is September 8, 1957. That is when my brother was born and we lived in Detroit. My sister was born in February of 56 but I don't recall that.
Maybe we remember things that made us happy. I rarely recall any stuff that was upsetting in my childhood. We left Detroit when I was 4 years old and I have a good recall of that trip to Mo. Years before entering the first grade are pretty fresh in my memory. My dad owned a filling station before we bought the farm. My grandfather taught me lots of things while we hung out with my father at the station. Lots of great memories. Our mother passed away when I was 11 and that was tragic, but I have never dwelt  on that. She created a lot of great memories for me and I always hold onto those.
Ever wonder why we thought we knew so much more than our parents? As I will turn 57 years old tomorrow I have to laugh when I think about some of the things I did. Just made no sense, but at the time it was what I thought was best. My father never insisted that I do anything his way after I left home at 18. He pretty much backed up and let me do what I thought was best. He taught me well but wisdom does not come over night. I know he was happy when I came home from the Air Force and then graduated from college.
I guess I am a lot like my dad. When my kids left home I hoped they had learned the things I tried to teach them. I never involved myself in their decisions unless they asked. I am not sure that is the right way to do things. I have seen parents not let their married kids do anything without butting into their affairs. Maybe I am too much the other way.
Now, I can see that my dad must have laughed a lot when I did some pretty stupid things. I can say I have had a chuckle or two at decisions my kids have made. Even into their mid 30's they are still a lot "wiser" than old dad. That is what I find so funny but I was the same way myself. Just how it is.What I can say is that our grandkids think I am the smartest guy that ever lived. That makes me feel really good. I am fortunate that I did not make any real bad financial decisions although I did spend a lot of money on vehicles. Wasted some money on a house or two. When you get old though you tend to sit back and think about every decision that comes up. If I waste money now I will not get it back. The kids probably wonder why I drive old cars and put so much money into the GMC.
Oh well, life rolls on.
Hope everyone is having a great week. We will take the GMC home Saturday afternoon and finish getting it ready for our upcoming trip. There should be lots of pictures then. Pretty boring just hanging around here and playing with our grandkids so I don't post much. But, we roll soon.
All of this was said just so you would know my birthday is tomorrow. Did not want to just come right out and say it. You know how I am.
See you on the road soon.
Dan

7 Comments:

At July 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM , Blogger carl s said...

Nice post. Happy birthday (tomorrow).

 
At July 20, 2011 at 6:03 PM , Blogger JG said...

Hay, first thing I remember is flying over the Vanport flood, where the Portland racetrack is now. I was just short of 2. Next I remember talking to my Mom on the phone when my sister was born on New Year 1949.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM , Blogger JG said...

Hay, first thing I remember is flying over the Vanport flood, where the Portland racetrack is now. I was just short of 2. Next I remember talking to my Mom on the phone when my sister was born on New Year 1949.

 
At July 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dan...I barely remember when I was your age.

 
At July 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dan....but I am way ahead of you. Enjoy Madison, I will be flying over Madison tomorrow night.

 
At July 21, 2011 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dan...enjoy Madison when you get up there. I will be flying over the top of Madison tomorrow evening.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 4:43 AM , Blogger RICK said...

DAN:

See the news. Martial Law declared in your wintering site: QUARTZSITE.

Rick.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home