Thursday, July 24, 2008

Shade Tree Mecanic

Oh yea, look at those hands. Don't they look like a surgeon at work?


Well, look who it is. And after I put all the parts back together the bug ran better than before. I learned a few things from my father. He was a good mechanic. I am not. I truly had to find some shade to finish the progect. Teri and I pulled our awning out and moved the table under it so I could finish this project. Don't forget to click the pictures for a better look at the good looking mechanic.
I guess some things happen for a reason. Last night I cleaned several connections in the wiring on the bug. This morning when I had finished rebuilding the carb I put everything back together and hit the starter. Nothing but a raw gasoline smell as the engine cranked. I quit and went to see what was up. Seems I forgot to put the fuel line on the carb and fuel was pumped all over the engine, everywhere. No fire. How could that be? I cleaned everything up and let it sit in the sun for a few minutes and tried it again. Nothing. I pulled the distributor cap and no fire. So, I went to cleaning more connections. Still no start. Looked over what I did last night and found the hot wire was unplugged. I left it off last night. Well, seems that was a very good thing. I probably would have burned the car down if fire had been back there. Thank you Lord for letting me miss that wire last night. Put it back on and vroooom. A little screwdrivering and all was great. Took her down the road and it brought me home. Guess I got lucky again.
We tinkered around the car and then went to the post office and grocery store and that was as much as we did today. Had some good cantelope after supper. We have several things to do Friday including getting the tires on back of the bug. Saturday we are taking the bug to Vancouver to drop the engine and swap the generator for an altenator, maybe a few other things. Teri's brother is a VW guy and he will go over this rig with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is roadworthy. It has too much play in the steering wheel and we will take that out. Check all the wheel bearings and ball joints. I want to make sure I am safe in that thing as we travel down the road. I think I saw a wheel cylender leaking.
Well, thanks for coming back again. Let us know if there is anything in the Tillamook area that you want us to check out.
Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home