Saturday, January 30, 2010

Can You Say Los Angeles?

Oh yea, we are out here in California, not Arizona. Got up and took off about 830 am. I was watching the oil pressure because of the knock we had previously had. It came back and left again. After 20 miles I saw the pressure dropping so we pulled off. After we parked in a truck stop I called Good Sam's Towing. After an hour or more a truck showed up to tow us back to Quartzsite, not where I wanted to go. the truck was too small and Good Sam's was not going to pay for a larger one. Finally they did, but only to Quartzsite because they said a shop there could fix our problem.
After another couple of hours this truck shows up, same driver. I drove the GMC onto the flat bed.





He took us to Quartzsite where the owner of the shop had not been called by Good Sam. He also said it would be a month before he could even look at it.




Back on the phone to wait for an hour while the tow truck driver was wanting me to get the GMC off his truck.












On the phone trying to keep my GMC on that truck and headed to a GMC shop in Montclair, Ca. 200 miles. Good Sam's said no. They would tow us to an rv park until Monday and find a shop closer that would fix it. We are talking major engine malfunction.







Good Sam agreed to a total of 50 miles and I had to pay 6 bux a mile to get it here to the shop.









We rolled in here about an hour after dark, me leading the tow truck driver.

Over a grand to get me here out of my pocket. I am not happy but what could we do?
Too dark to take pictures when we arrived. Miguel was glad to see us and we know we will be treated special here and he will fix whatever is wrong with the GMC.
So, there you have it. Our story for today. The dreaded hook, our first time and it is going to be expensive. I can get a job, not a problem. We have to be in Montgomery Tx. in 6 weeks. I am sure we will make it. We are in the best of hands and I feel good about it. Traffic is nasty here in LA. Folks tried to run over me and gave me wierd sign language, lots of horn honking. Hmm, I can manage out here just fine. I know how to drive aggressively.
The tracker shows us here so check on us when you can.
Dan









3 Comments:

At January 31, 2010 at 1:07 AM , Blogger newyorker said...

This has really been an eventful trip for you. First the brakes and now the engine. I'm hopeful that it will not be too serious.

 
At January 31, 2010 at 6:59 AM , Blogger GMF said...

Ah Good Sam.. My Last hook cost me $700 out of pocket and over a 10 hour wait for a mobile mechanic after I told them on the first call it couldn't be fixed on the road.

But the 700 got me home where I could fix it myself...

Good Luck.

 
At January 31, 2010 at 7:42 AM , Blogger carl s said...

I'm glad that frustrating day is behind you. Your GMC will end up even better for all of this.

It's too bad people like Good Sam's Club don't always live up to their hype.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home